Philosophy of the proposed programme
To harness knowledge in energy and technology for the service of humanity
Why Bachelor of Science Petroleum Exploration and Production?
According to Kenya’s Economic Pillar Vision 2030, oil and gas has been identified as an additional priority sector. Several emerging issues and challenges of attracting capital for the up-stream, mid-stream and down-stream activities in oil and gas sector, and a weak legal framework have been identified. Further; technical capacity constraints with a shortage of specialized local manpower in, petroleum geology, petroleum exploration and petroleum production strongly stick out. Use of expatriates in the exploration, extraction and processing of oil and gas products poses enormous economic limitations on the country’s growth. Therefore, there is need to establishment necessary structures, systems and local capacities.
To address these challenges, the Mount Kenya University Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Exploration and Production degree has been designed for purposes of training graduates capable of filling the human resource gap and developing a local content. Having locally trained experts in this sector will ease the burden on the economy as the expatriates can be left to offer consultancy services as local manpower is fully utilized in execution of projects. The programme shall produce graduate technologists capable of bridging the gap between engineers and geo-scientists in the implementation of projects and transfer of knowledge and technology. The needs survey from oil and gas, industry, government agencies in charge of the oil and gas and the public have shown an overwhelming desire to have local experts who shall provide leadership in the management of the oil and gas sector. The country and the regional in general have very few engineers, geo-scientists and technologists capable of efficiently managing this sector.
The Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Exploration and Production degree Programme shall equip graduates with knowledge in research and innovation.
Upon successful completion of the prescribed course of study, the Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Exploration and Production degree Programme, graduates will have acquired knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to:
- Conduct advanced research and enquiry on oil exploration and production, and develop solutions through a multifaceted approach that encompasses the scientific, legal, safety, environmental and societal aspects.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the theories, concepts and methods used in upstream, mid-stream and downstream operations in the oil and gas sector.
- Evaluate, choose and apply relevant theories, conceptual models, techniques and methods to generate solutions to various crosscutting issues that affect oil and gas exploration and production.
- Develop models, apply computer modeling and simulation software’s to effectively carry out field explorations as well as optimize oil production reservoirs.
- Provide guidance and advisory services on career paths in oil and gas industry, and other related fields
The program of study leading to the Bsc. PEP degree at Mount Kenya University shall extend for a period of four academic years in line with the University academic policy and regulations
Candidates shall be eligible for admission into the BSc. PEP degree of Mount Kenya University in the following categories:
- The University and School common regulations shall apply.
- The candidate must have passed the K.C.S.E. or equivalent examination at the minimum grades indicated below:
KCSE Mean grade C+ (Plus) and minimum grades in the following individual cluster subjects: Mathematics C (Plain), Kiswahili/English C(Plain), Physics C(Plain) and C (Plain) in Chemistry or Geography or Biology.
- Relevant KNEC Diploma or its equivalent